Create simple DXF file from Delpi containing pillars and export

Discuss and ask questions about CAD VCL (Delphi and C++ Builder).

Moderators: SDS, support, admin

sbuss

Create simple DXF file from Delpi containing pillars and export

Post by sbuss » 11 Nov 2022, 15:30

Hi,
I just downloaded your demo version and am exploring the library considering purchase. I managed to get the demo application running.

Is there an API reference? I couldn't find it. I am quite sure that y objective is rather simple, but I am struggling to find my through the API.

I'd like to
* create a drawing / file containing multiple geo-referenced vertical pillars (consisting of multple vertical parts) and assign metadata to them in memory at runtime.
* save the output to a dxf or dwg file.
I do not need a graphical representation in my app and I do not need any import functionality, just creation and export.

Can you provide any advice where to look up the relevant API calls for achieving this?

support

Re: Create simple DXF file from Delpi containing pillars and export

Post by support » 11 Nov 2022, 16:28

sbuss wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 15:30
Hi,
I just downloaded your demo version and am exploring the library considering purchase. I managed to get the demo application running.

Is there an API reference? I couldn't find it. I am quite sure that y objective is rather simple, but I am struggling to find my through the API.

I'd like to
* create a drawing / file containing multiple geo-referenced vertical pillars (consisting of multple vertical parts) and assign metadata to them in memory at runtime.
* save the output to a dxf or dwg file.
I do not need a graphical representation in my app and I do not need any import functionality, just creation and export.

Can you provide any advice where to look up the relevant API calls for achieving this?
Hi,
As an API reference, you can have look at CAD VCL help system, available at https://cadsofttools.com/help/cadvcl/ca ... elcome.htm.
Also, I highly recommend reading FAQ on CAD VCL at https://cadsofttools.com/help/cad-vcl-faq/index.html

Best regards,
Catherine.
Technical Support E-mail: support@cadsofttools.com
Chat support on Skype: cadsofttools.support

sbuss

Post by sbuss » 15 Nov 2022, 15:25

Thanks, that's helpful. I've had a closer look at the pages at welcome.htm you posted.
I'd have to two further questions:

1) At https://cadsofttools.com/help/cadvcl/ca ... tities.htm there is code illustrating how to add entities to a drwing which could be exported as a DXF file later on, if I understand correctly. That's generally spoken what I am looking for, but there are only 2D shapes used there. Is there support for 3D shapes as well? I'd need something like a cone or cylinder and maybe something like a level / geometric plane and also the option to assign metadata, I think a block would be appropriate for that.

2) The pages at welcome.htm refer to certain demos. Do I interprete correctly that these would be running delphi applications shipped with the demo version? I only see the fmviewer and fmviewer3d in the distribution I downloaded. Did I miss something? I downloaded cadvcl_15_multiplatform_demo_ksU37cnZ.

Thank you for your help!

support

Post by support » 16 Nov 2022, 12:38

sbuss wrote:
15 Nov 2022, 15:25
Thanks, that's helpful. I've had a closer look at the pages at welcome.htm you posted.
I'd have to two further questions:

1) At https://cadsofttools.com/help/cadvcl/ca ... tities.htm there is code illustrating how to add entities to a drwing which could be exported as a DXF file later on, if I understand correctly. That's generally spoken what I am looking for, but there are only 2D shapes used there. Is there support for 3D shapes as well? I'd need something like a cone or cylinder and maybe something like a level / geometric plane and also the option to assign metadata, I think a block would be appropriate for that.

2) The pages at welcome.htm refer to certain demos. Do I interprete correctly that these would be running delphi applications shipped with the demo version? I only see the fmviewer and fmviewer3d in the distribution I downloaded. Did I miss something? I downloaded cadvcl_15_multiplatform_demo_ksU37cnZ.

Thank you for your help!
Hi,

Answering your questions:
1) We do not have 3D objects to create them directly, however, CAD VCL supports the import of some standard AutoCAD entities, such as 3DFACE, SOLID, MESH, polyline with certain 3D settings (depth, polyfacemesh, polygonmesh). These entities will be displayed if the 3D mode is on.

2) Yes, these demos are available in the VCL version, not multiplatform one. You can find the download link to the CAD VCL demo in the same email where the link to the multiplatform version is.

Best wishes,
Catherine.

sbuss

Post by sbuss » 19 Nov 2022, 09:02

Thanks! That’s a pity… different approach: if I draw what I want in Delphi firemonkey 3d, would I be able to export the result to 3d dxf?

support

Post by support » 21 Nov 2022, 09:57

sbuss wrote:
19 Nov 2022, 09:02
Thanks! That’s a pity… different approach: if I draw what I want in Delphi firemonkey 3d, would I be able to export the result to 3d dxf?
Hi,
We use Delphi firemonkey 3D to display drawings, and CAD VCL supports export to 3D DXF.
However, CAD VCL doesn't support import from Delphi firemonkey 3d.

P.S. If you need some particular feature to be implemented, you can contact us via email at support@cadsofttools.com, and we can discuss it as possible custom enhancement.

Kind regards,
Catherine.

RoyDaigle

Post by RoyDaigle » 25 Dec 2022, 22:48

Thanks, I will contact you to get more info.

jeromeloik3

Post by jeromeloik3 » 06 Jan 2023, 16:19

Interesting information

GeorgeHutchison

Post by GeorgeHutchison » 21 Feb 2023, 17:58

Thanks for the update. If I face any problem, I will message here.
Last edited by GeorgeHutchison on 24 Feb 2023, 09:52, edited 2 times in total.

ThaddeusHuling

Post by ThaddeusHuling » 13 Apr 2023, 10:31

Can you share the link through which I can get the demos that are available in the VCL version?

Edit: Ok thanks
Last edited by ThaddeusHuling on 21 Apr 2023, 18:52, edited 2 times in total.

support

Post by support » 14 Apr 2023, 15:21

ThaddeusHuling wrote:
13 Apr 2023, 10:31
Can you share the link through which I can get the demos that are available in the VCL version?
Hi,
Unfortunately, we do not share any library links on the forum. Please, contact me directly at support@cadsofttools.com and I will send you a demo link for CAD VCL.

Catherine.