Measure Center of Mass of step file

Discuss and ask questions about ABViewer.

Moderators: SDS, support, admin

jbirt

Measure Center of Mass of step file

Post by jbirt » 24 Jun 2016, 00:06

Greetings,

I found ABViewer because I needed to find the volume and center of mass (CoM) of a complex .stp file. The good news is that I have been able to find the information for the individual parts of the file, but it does not calculate it for the entire file as the following help file says it should:

http://cadsofttools.com/help/en/measuri ... ls.htm#vol

I checked all the parts, but only the properties of the most recently clicked-on (not necessarily checked) part are shown. With 200 parts, putting them all in a spreadsheet would be pretty insane, hence why I thought ABViewer would be a good solution. Am I missing something? I just would like the volume and CoM of the entire assembly.

I have included three screen shots (in one Word file): the first shows what I want (the .stp file selected with a bunch of parts checked and no properties showing) and another that has a number of parts checked, but it's only showing the properties of the one part selected. The third is the description on CNET.

Thanks in advance!

support

Re: Measure Center of Mass of step file

Post by support » 24 Jun 2016, 18:00

Hello,

Unfortunately, ABViewer doesn't allow to find the volume and center of mass for the entire 3D assembly, you can find this information only for a part currently selected in the Structure panel.

Our developers are working on this feature, so it may be possible in the future releases.

Mikhail
Technical Support E-mail: support@cadsofttools.com
Chat support on Skype: cadsofttools.support

jbirt

Post by jbirt » 28 Jun 2016, 19:08

Thanks for your response, but CST should make sure the promotional materials reflect this reality.

support

Post by support » 28 Jun 2016, 20:38

Hello,

Could you post the links to the promotional materials which say that ABViewer allows to find the volume and center of mass for a 3D assembly? For example, you mentioned the product description on CNET. Ok, let's have a look at an excerpt from this description:
The panel Structure shows the file content and properties of the measured object: its overall dimensions, volume and center of mass.
In my opinion, it is not quite clear what is implied by the measured object, it may be the entire assembly or a separate 3D part, so this text doesn't reflect details rather than reality.

Mikhail
Technical Support E-mail: support@cadsofttools.com
Chat support on Skype: cadsofttools.support