Viewing additional objects with arx-files?

Discuss and ask questions about CAD plugins for 3rd party software: IrfanView, XnView, Total Commander, Konvertor FM.

Moderators: SDS, support, admin

Peter

Re: Viewing additional objects with arx-files?

Post by Peter » 06 Mar 2010, 22:41

support wrote:The problem can't be solved "on fly". It requires serious researches. We will inform you when results are ready.....
Now my first posting is more then 4 years old - rather a long time for researches.

Please add a feature (maybe configurable by the user) which checks additional entities / dictionaries in the drawing and displays a message on bottom of the drawing or in the menu-bar.

Peter

support

Post by support » 09 Mar 2010, 16:00

Hello Peter.
The ARX functions still unsupported by our software. Unfortunately we haven't plan to implement such functionality in close perspective. Please contact to info@cadsofttools.com if you strongly need implementing such functionali at close time.

Alexander.
Technical Support E-mail: support@cadsofttools.com
Chat support on Skype: cadsofttools.support

Peter

Post by Peter » 09 Mar 2010, 16:05

Hello Alexander

I already reduced my proposal from "using the arx" to the small wish "dispaly a warning if 'something' is found in the drawing". Is it also not planned to implement?

Peter

support

Post by support » 12 Mar 2010, 18:11

Hello Peter.
Unfortunately I didn't found any RasterDWG files within our correspondence from you. Could you please send any such file to support@cadsofttools.com? We need to check its content before I can give answer to your request.

Alexander.

Peter

Post by Peter » 12 Mar 2010, 18:30

Fine, I will send it next Monday.

Peter

support

Post by support » 24 Mar 2010, 12:56

Hello Peter.
The "RasterDWG Driver" software is an AutoCAD Runtime Extension application, i.e. a dynamic link library that shares AutoCAD's address space and makes direct function calls to AutoCAD. It developed to work with AutoCAD only. So answering your initial question: to display such RasterDWG files we must implement runtime extensions support and RasterDWG driver must be created for our(not AutoCAD) interface. I strongly doubt in reasonability of such extensive work from both sides.
The raster object within RasterDWG file is an Image entity with some modifications. AutoCAD doesn't differ DWG and RasterDWG, it handles raster object as a common Image and displays text that stored within this Image entity. We're not interested in displaying any advertising links by our software. So we won't modify our software for this task.

Alexander.

Peter

Post by Peter » 24 Mar 2010, 13:05

support wrote:...and displays text that stored within this Image entity. We're not interested in displaying any advertising links by our software. ...
Yes -the text with the link to the developper is only displayed if the rasterfile is not displayed because of missing feature. Standard-Autocad displays this text to inform the user that there is "something in the drawing". IMHO a viewer should display the same as AutoCAD (if possible), so that the user can TRUST in a reliable viewing.

Peter

support

Post by support » 24 Mar 2010, 13:35

Standard AutoCAD displays message that contain info "RasterDWG driver needed to display raster.." and link to developer's site. But the RasterDWG driver developed for using with AutoCAD only, it can't be used with our soft. This info from our viewer will be just advertising of driver's developer.

Alexander.

Peter

Post by Peter » 24 Mar 2010, 14:42

I don't think that the information is a "commercial advertising" because the comapany does not have any commercial advantage: the driver for download is free and necessary for displaying the correct content of DWG. I believe there are many other apps which need special features too - and I think that it is not correct that a commercial product like CadView does not display known information because of "advertising another non-commercial product".

Look at AutoCAD - it displays the message, although Autodesk has a raster-software of its own. They don't say: "Hey guys, you are using a product of our competitor. We don't care for you, it is your own fault if you are missing some information."

AutoCAD is a product opend for many apps, and they try to handle it - at least with displaying a simple sentence to inform the user of missing data. And it would be fine if CadSoftTools will act in the same way.

Edit:
If you don't want to display infos of other companies, you can display a neutral text: "Attention: There are special elements int hte drawing which can not be displayed."

Peter

support

Post by support » 25 Mar 2010, 16:38

Hello Peter.
The information is a commercial advertising that added by VPHybridCAD soft. The RasterDWG driver is free but its purpose is RasterDWG support with AutoCAD, its useless for any other format than RasterDWG and for any other software than AutoCAD. Finally that format is designed by Softelec for using with VPHybridCAD (or other) commercial software. As far as I know there is a RasterDWG trademark assignment agreement between Softelec and Autodesk.
Anyway we develop our own software that differs from AutoCAD. We support regular DWG format, not RasterDWG. If the goal of our library or plugin modification is advertising of other soft or developer then we prefer not modify it except as a custom development for a price.

Alexander.

Peter

Post by Peter » 27 Oct 2010, 17:34

A long discussion, and I know you will say "No", but ...

...Autodesk TrueView 2011 now displays exactly a message that I suggested like "Image XY not found."

Peter

support

Post by support » 03 Nov 2010, 14:11

Hello Peter.
Thank you for your remark. Unfortunately we haven't plans to implement such functionality, sorry. It can be added in the future but can't give any promises.

Alexander.